[Previous:hey, hey, my, my, love is WHAT?!]
[Next:I Am the Very Model of a Heroine Barbarian (fwd)]
[Main Index]

This should have been an April 1 news item....

04/11/1997

Scientists Make Frog Float in Mid-Air

LONDON (Reuter) - Scientists using a giant magnetic field have made a frog float
in mid-air and might even be able to do the same thing with a human, New
Scientist magazine reported Friday.

The team from Britain's University of Nottingham and the University of Nijmegen
in the Netherlands has also succeeded in levitating plants, grasshoppers and
fish.

"If you have a magnet that is big enough, you could levitate a human," said
Pater Main, one of the researchers.

He said the frog did not seem to suffer any ill effects. "It went back to its
fellow frogs looking perfectly happy."

The levitation trick works because giant magnetic fields slightly distort the
orbits of electrons in the frog's atoms. The resulting electric current
generates a magnetic field in the opposite direction to that of the magnet.