Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny
Subject: What's in a name?
From: barvyy@fsh.pn (Melissa O'Neill)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:30:00 PST

REDMOND, WASHINGTON. Microsoft Corporation announced today that
Windows NT 5.0, its much delayed operating system for servers and
business desktops, will be renamed ``Windows 2000'' and abbreviated
to ``W2K''.

   Brad Chaste, director of Microsoft's Advanced Marketing, Strategies
and Leverage Group, explained the change, stating that ``This is
another case of Microsoft innovation at work: we expect to see
significant revenues deriving from our leadership in W2K issues.''

   Industry commentators have been quick to speculate that Microsoft
may be hoping to create confusion between W2K and the similarly
named Y2K.  Y2K, also known as ``Year 2000'', is expected to be a
major budget item for businesses in the coming year, as they struggle
to make their systems Year 2000 compatible.  Microsoft is apparently
hoping to place Windows 2000 compatibility similarly high on the
agenda of corporate America.  ``It's a clever move,'' argued analyst
Mary Spittle, ``but it may backfire.  The associations people have
with Y2K, such as dangerous software instabilities, unfixed bugs,
and sloppy coding, may not be the sort of associations Microsoft
really wants for W2K.''

   But Chaste disagreed. ``We view Y2K as a direct competitor to
Microsoft products. We're already seeing a tiny, but noticeable,
dip in revenues as people spend money on Y2K, and so obviously
we're going to aggressively compete.  We want to see support call
revenues going to Microsoft and Microsoft certified consultants.
We've already shown with Windows 98 that we can get customers to
pay to test our software and track bugs -- with W2K we'll have 20
million lines of new source code for our customers to test out.
We're looking at a very profitable future.''

   Linus Torvalds, author of Linux, the upstart challenger to the
Microsoft hegemony, offered an alternate viewpoint on the situation:
``You can use an operating system like Windows, or you can take a
vacation. I'd take the vacation every time.'' But Chaste quickly
dismissed Torvalds' comments, ``He's a nice guy, but he's acting
alone.  We've got thousands of contract programmers making new
changes to the Windows source code every day. What's he got?''

   Microsoft stock closed up 1.3 points on light trading. Sun
Microsystems' Solaris gained 4.4 points, moving from 2.6 to 7.0.

--
Selected by Jim Griffith.  MAIL your joke to shaal@argshaal.pbz.

Join and contribute to the Electronic Frontier Foundation today.

This joke's link: http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Nov/w2k.html