>From alt.sysadmin.recovery

Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
Subject: Re: Why I don't get on with them...
From: fpbggf@gbtrgure.arg (Scott K. Stafford)
Date: 29 Apr 97 01:00:28 GMT

In article <k73rfnjjhn.sfs@urknqrpvzny.hbertba.rqh>,
Steve VanDevender  <fgriri@urknqrpvzny.hbertba.rqh> wrote:

 You forgot the denouement, whereas the luser cries, "B-but I already
 *did* that!"  Then you, of course, smile knowingly...

>This, of course, is covered in the AI koans:

>      Knight turned the machine off and on.
>
>      The machine worked.

Ah, but doesn't this suggest a hierarchy at work? The luser
cannot power-cycle a gizmo and make it work, but I can. But
produce a sufficiently more advanced gizmo, and I can't power
cycle it and make it work, but the field engineer can. This
suggests that perhaps there exists a *truly* advanced issue
that the field engineer cannot BRS-out, but some uber-guru
could.

Observations:

1. This phenomenon seems to be related to *title*, rather than actual
expertise. I know from nothing about repairing complicated
printers (perhaps no more than the luser), yet the power-cycle
works for me. The FE says, "Uh-oh, I know squat about this model,"
yet (click/click) the frob bounces right up.

2. The detection mechanism involved seems to be inversely
proportional to distance from the errant device. Sometimes
it is necessary to *touch* the device (to throw the BRS,
obviously...), but at times mere physical proximity causes
the problem to evaporate. Never can the issue be resolved
from the comfort of one's office.

3. Duration of the "aura effect" can be transitory. I go to
the <X> that is malfunctioning, use my aura to repair it,
and leave; whereupon I instantly receive another call that
the <X> failed the moment I left. I return and it begins to
work again. I remain longer near the <X>, and a much longer
period of "non-aurational" function is achieved.

4. Titanic profits await the organization that can create an
"aura box" which will protect mission critical devices. They
could be priced relative to the strength of the aura
produced, with an "informed luser" box selling very cheaply,
and a "hardware god" model would break the bank.

5. How would a malfunctioning "aura box" be handled? Would a
"meta-aura box" be developed?

Stuff to think about in our copious free time...

**Scott K. Stafford <fpbggf@gbtrgure.arg>**
cant stop  lose job  mind gone  silicon
what bomb  get away  pay day  make hay
break down  need fix  big six
clickity click  hold on  oh no brrrrrrring bingo!