[Previous:No Comment]
[Next:cobol joke du jour]
[Main Index]

movie industry quotes

05/21/1997

Bizarre Telephone Conversations

By Anita M. Busch

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - It's time, once again, for the semiannual quotes
from all of you that made the last few months of reporting a little
livelier.

All the conversations actually happened, but the names have been
withheld to protect you guys.

******

REPORTER: You tell me one thing one day, and the next day you tell me
something completely different.

STUDIO EXEC: How do you know that's what I said? Do you write things
down?

REPORTER: It's my job to remember what people say. I think we could work
better together if you'd tell me the truth.

STUDIO EXEC: Are you calling me a liar? What I tell you is never a lie.
It might be double-speak, but it's never a lie!

******

REPORTER: I heard that there is some dissension among the top agents at
your agency on how to run the company, and I heard (details of a meeting
that took place).

AGENT: It's not true! It's not true!

REPORTER: Look, I'm not going to run a story.

AGENT: You're not going to run it?

REPORTER: No.

AGENT: OK, then there's a kernel of truth to what you've said.

******

REPORTER: I think it's really cool that you hired an unknown actress to
play the lead in your movie.

PRODUCER: Well, I figured I'd give the kid a break. Besides, she's one
of us.

REPORTER: What do you mean?

PRODUCER: She's Jewish.

REPORTER: (long pause) I'm not Jewish.

PRODUCER: Oh. I thought you were.

******

CALLER: I have a major story about Mickey Rourke doing my Hell's Angels
project.

REPORTER: OK. Who's the distributor?

CALLER: There is no company. It's me.

REPORTER: Well, uh -- who's financing the picture?

CALLER: No one.

REPORTER: Who's your agent?

CALLER: I don't have one.

REPORTER: And Mickey Rourke is interested?

CALLER: Well, he's stood me up three times, but I know he wants to do
the picture.

******

AGENT'S ASSISTANT: I'm stressed.

REPORTER: Over what?

AGENT'S ASSISTANT: I'm stressed over not being stressed.

REPORTER: Well, if I can do anything to stress you out, let me know.

ASSISTANT: No, you don't understand. I went on vacation this weekend. I
relaxed, and it's wrong. I'm supposed to have knots in my stomach. I'm
young. I'm supposed to have that.

******

AGENT: Can you write something about my client? We' re in competition
for the Academy Award, and we're trying to do a big push for him.

REPORTER: Well, it might be better to take out an ad.

AGENT: Well, we're doing that too, but if you could write something...

REPORTER: Well, I just can't write something unless there is news, you
see, and... Is there any news? Is there any project that he is
negotiating for or something?

AGENT: No.

REPORTER: Well, I just can't write something to promote him. That's not
how journalism works.

AGENT: (long pause) I thought we were friends.

******

REPORTER: Client information, please.

CAA: OK. Hold on. (Transfer and disconnect.)

REPORTER: (Calling back): Yeah. I was trying to get to client
information, but I accidentally got disconnected.

CAA: That's what happens when they aren't there.

REPORTER: What do you mean?

CAA: If they aren't there, the line will automatically hang up on you.

******

REPORTER: I need your comment or no comment on this statement regarding
the future reporting structure at your company.

CORPORATE SPOKESWOMAN: I would say that that is a rumor that I can't
confirm.

REPORTER: So that's your quote?

CS: Oh, no. I'm not a spokesperson.

REPORTER: Actually, yes you are. That's your job. I'm calling you
because you're the spokesperson for the company and I'm asking you for a
comment. So, do you want to say 'no comment' or have some other kind of
comment?

CS: Uh, I don't know what to do.'

******

FORMER STUDIO EXEC: It would be inappropriate for me to comment.

REPORTER: Why?

EXEC: It would be inappropriate for me to tell you why it would be
inappropriate for me to comment.

******

CREATIVE EXECUTIVE: What's going on?

REPORTER: Not much. It's kind of boring.

CREATIVE EXEC: I need to ask you a favor.

REPORTER: OK, what?

CREATIVE EXEC: I'm having lunch with (my boss) and I, uh -- Can you tell
me something important or juicy that I can act like I heard, that I can
impress him with?

******

REPORTER: What's the storyline on the script?

STUDIO EXEC: I'll answer you, but you have to answer my question first.
What are you wearing?

REPORTER: Huh? I'm not going to tell you that.

EXEC: Come on. A skirt or pants?

REPORTER: I'm not telling you.

EXEC: It's hardly an obscene question. You won't tell me if it's a skirt
or pants, and I'm supposed to be your story department?

******

STUDIO EXEC: God, I just hired this woman with this amazing body. She
has great tits and a nice ass, and it's really distracting. Wait a
second, I have to shut the door. (shuts the door and comes back to the
phone) It makes me realize that there are things more important than
work.

REPORTER: -- and your marriage.

STUDIO EXEC: (laughs) Yeah, that too.