01/14/1998

>From an interview with the editors of _Bust_ magazine:

"I was wondering what you thought of this," I say, slapping down a
recent Rolling Stone with The Spice Girls on its cover.

"Very nice work," says Marcelle, contemplating the garish photograph
and the tag line "Pop Tarts." "I do admire the way they've co-opted
feminism and given it a really cool marketing term and called it 'girl
power'...very smart people behind this machine." She adds, however,
"We can say what we will about the Spice Girls but the cool thing is
that they're putting these words out there, and maybe some 13 year-old
girl who thinks she relates to one of these Spices, will realize that
these girls don't offer much to her emotionally, and maybe she'll
start to think intellectually about the term 'girl power' and it will
help her to discover what feminism really is."

>From _Buffy: The Vampire Slayer_

Ms. Calendar: "It's just such a rugged contest."
Giles: "Rugged? American football? Heh heh."
Ms. Calendar: "And that's funny because...?"
Giles: "Well, I think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself
on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of
protective gear just in order to play rugby."

     "The trouble with pooets is that they find poetry everywhere."